Building owners are realizing that the metrics they use to evaluate the assets in their portfolios are changing. Shifting customer demands, climate change mitigation and sustainability goals, power reliability and resilience concerns, and budget constraints are driving demand for intelligent building solutions. Navigant Research suggests that 2017 is a tipping point in which building owners and key decision makers will accelerate investments in intelligent building solutions that embody the technology foundation of digital transformation. The scalable, secure, and open platforms of these solutions are generating cost savings, providing energy efficiency and sustainability improvements, and enhancing occupant satisfaction.
The rapid deployment of cost-effective data acquisition devices and the integration of IT and traditional building automation and controls are changing the industry of facilities management. This network-addressable, IT backbone is generating continuous data streams associated with building operations. An evolving menu of software analytics and energy management services is leveraging this data to provide actionable insights for efficiency and optimization. The result is the development of intelligent buildings that are dynamic systems managing energy consumption for efficiency and non-energy business improvements.
This Navigant Research white paper presents the top 10 trends for the intelligent buildings market in 2017 based on recent Navigant Research syndicated research report findings and ongoing technology investigations. It focuses on evolutions in technology, delivery models, and customer demand that are building the thrust for the digital transformation of commercial buildings. The paper presents the major market issues driving investment in intelligent building solutions, as well as the business case and opportunities associated with various intelligent building solution areas.
Key Questions Addressed:
- What are the major drivers shifting the intelligent buildings landscape in 2017 and beyond?
- What is the global outlook for intelligent buildings?
- How do intelligent building solutions interface with macro trends, including the Energy Cloud and smart cities?
- What technology trends are affecting the building management industry?
- How will the intelligent building change the occupant experience?
Who needs this report?
- Building automation vendors
- Real estate management
- Corporate real estate management
- Building owners
- Intelligent building software providers
- Investor community
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
2. Market Dynamics
2.1 Tipping the Scales
2.2 Industry Evolution
2.3 The Business Value of Intelligent Buildings: IoT Delivering Action from Data
3. Technology Drivers
3.1 Technology Innovation
3.2 IoT Redefines Commercial Energy Management
3.2.1 Midmarket Penetration
3.3 Cybersecurity Becomes a Competitive Advantage
3.3.1 Implementing Security
3.3.2 Defining Clear Roles and Responsibilities to Mitigate Risk
3.4 Artificial Intelligence Enters Real Estate Services
4. Changes in Go-to-Market Strategies
4.2 Evolution in Technology Delivery Approach
4.2.1 As a Service Leadership
4.3 Co-Opetition Reality
4.3.1 Industry Segmentation
4.3.2 Sales Approaches
4.4 Energy Efficiency Industry Transformation
5. Demand Drivers
5.2 Shifting Expectations
5.3 Buildings for Smart Cities
5.4 Renewables and Revenue
5.4.1 Digital Transformation and Renewable Energy
5.6.1 Technology Innovation on Both Sides of the Meter
6. Conclusions and Recommendations
6.1 2017 and Beyond
7. Acronym and Abbreviation List
8. Table of Contents
9. Table of Charts and Figures
10. Scope of Study and Methodology, Notes
List of Charts and Figures
- Most Important Drivers for Investment in Intelligent Building Technologies
- 10 Trends for the Tipping Point of Market Evolution
- Critical Dynamics Shaping Digital Transformation of Buildings
- The Digital Building Value Chain
- New Technology Models
- New Engagement Opportunities
- From On-Off Engagement to Trusted Advisor
- Building to Grid Concept
- New Competitive Landscape for Intelligent Buildings
List of Tables
- Applications and Functionality: Continuum Toward Optimization
- Summarizing Cybersecurity Threat Vectors and Countermeasures
- Illustrative Benefits of Intelligent Building Solutions for Smart Cities