Artificial intelligence (AI) is an extension of the intelligent buildings paradigm, which is characterized by the integration of information and operations technologies. The business of owning and managing commercial buildings has been transformed by the accessibility of new data streams and the tools to analyze and operationalize the associated information. This intelligent buildings market encompasses a spectrum of applications that range from simplistic data presentment to complex analytics and automated system improvement. AI represents the next frontier in sophisticated technology solutions for the intelligent building.
The introduction of intelligent building solutions has had a variable impact on the commercial buildings industry. For some key industry segments, such as automation and controls, it has been disruptive—altering the competitive landscape and threatening the market position of legacy leaders. In other segments, such as the design, build, renovate segment, the key industry players are just now exploring how they can innovate and evolve. This range in impact will be amplified as AI solutions enter the market.
This Navigant Research report explores the role of AI across the commercial buildings value chain, the types and applications that are best positioned to permeate the market, and the outlook for adoption across key business activities. Navigant Research analyzes the outlook for six key types of AI in the commercial buildings industry: machine learning, speech recognition, video content recognition, computer vision, virtual personal assistants, and robotics. The study provides an analysis of the market issues, including use cases, opportunities, and barriers, associated with AI in intelligent buildings.
Key Questions Addressed:
- What are the value propositions for artificial intelligence (AI) in the commercial buildings industry?
- What types of AI are applicable to intelligent buildings?
- When will AI start to penetrate the commercial buildings industry?
- What are the major applications for AI in intelligent buildings?
- What are the key opportunities for AI in the intelligent buildings market?
Who needs this report?
- Intelligent buildings vendors
- Building automation and controls vendors
- Building owners and managers
- Real estate services
- Artificial intelligence (AI) developers
- Investor community
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
2. Market Update
2.2 Commercial Buildings Market Landscape
2.2.1 The Promise of Digital Transformation
2.3 Defining AI
2.3.1 Applicability of AI to Intelligent Buildings
2.4 AI in Commercial Buildings
2.4.1 AI Support for Primary Building Activities
2.4.2 AI Role in Supporting Activities
2.5 Road to Market Adoption
3. Conclusions and Recommendations
List of Charts and Figures
- Timeline to Market Adoption of AI across the Commercial Buildings Value Chain
- From IT Concepts to Buildings Applications
- Commercial Buildings Value Chain
- Timeline for AI in Commercial Buildings
List of Tables
- AI for Secondary Commercial Building Activities