Utilities exploring smart grid opportunities are increasingly shifting their focus from the deployment of advanced metering infrastructure (AMI) technology to distribution automation (DA) applications intended to reduce capital and operating costs, as well as improve the efficiency and quality of the power grid. While government mandates and funding have led to a number of smart meter (AMI) initiatives over the last decade, the integration of DA systems and applications with previously deployed or planned AMI systems is expected to help utilities strengthen their AMI business cases and wring further financial benefits out of past investments.
But the integration of AMI and DA systems is not a slam dunk for utilities. Potential obstacles can be found in the robustness of the AMI system’s underlying communications network, in organizational silos where different departments may lack experience with systems and protocol interoperability, and in the management and analysis of the expected vast volumes of data. Regulatory support may also be difficult to obtain. Navigant Research forecasts that more than 15% of the global installed base of smart meters will be incorporated in functional AMI/DA systems by 2020, up from 2% in 2012.
This Navigant Research report examines the opportunities and challenges faced by utilities seeking to integrate AMI and DA systems in the smart grid. The study provides an overview of the current state of the global AMI and DA markets, as well as a review of the communications networking technologies employed in each. Various DA applications appropriate for integration with AMI systems and their communications networks are also analyzed. Global market forecasts of components of AMI/DA integration, including smart meters for DA applications and integrated routers, extend through 2020. The report also provides a general outlook of AMI/DA integration and profiles of key market participants.
Key Questions Addressed:
- How can installed AMI systems be leveraged for DA applications?
- Which communications technologies are best suited for integrated AMI/DA?
- What challenges do utilities face as they integrate AMI and DA systems?
- What benefits will utilities gain as they integrate AMI and DA systems?
- What DA applications are best suited for existing AMI networks?
- How is smart grid technology evolving to accommodate fully integrated systems?
- What percentage of installed smart meters will be leveraged for DA applications between 2012 and 2020?
Who needs this report?
- Smart meter manufacturers
- Distribution system equipment manufacturers
- Communications system vendors
- Communications service providers
- Systems integrators
- Government agencies
- Investor community
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
1.2 Market Forecast
2. Market and Technology Issues
2.2 AMI Overview
2.3 DA Overview
2.3.1 Legacy Distribution Automation
2.3.2 Advanced Distribution Automation and Monitoring
2.3.3 Distribution Feeder Devices and Technologies
2.3.4 Medium-Voltage versus Low-Voltage DA Applications
2.3.5 Medium-Voltage DA Applications
184.108.40.206 Basic Monitoring and Remote Control
220.127.116.11 Basic Feeder Automation
18.104.22.168 Advanced FLISR
22.214.171.124 Distribution Network Optimization
2.3.6 Limitations of MV-Centric DA Solutions
2.3.7 Low-Voltage DA Applications
2.4 Communications Networks Overview
2.4.1 Wireless Communications
126.96.36.199 Private Wireless
188.8.131.52.1. Proprietary Radio Frequency (RF) Mesh
184.108.40.206.2. Proprietary Point-to-Multipoint Communications
220.127.116.11.3. Private WiMAX
18.104.22.168.4. Private LTE
22.214.171.124 Public Wireless
126.96.36.199.1. 2G/3G/4G Cellular
2.4.2 Wired Networks
188.8.131.52.1. Low-Speed Power Line Communications
184.108.40.206.2. Narrowband Power Line Communications
2.5 Integrating AMI and DA Systems
2.5.1 Organizational Factors
2.5.2 Data Management Factors
2.5.3 Regulatory Factors
2.5.4 Communications Systems Considerations for Specific Applications
220.127.116.11 Speed, Bandwidth, and Latency
18.104.22.168 Signal Prioritization
22.214.171.124 Communications Protocols
2.5.5 Hard Versus Soft Integration
126.96.36.199 Physical AMI/DA Integration Trends
188.8.131.52 IT-Based AMI/DA Integration Trends
3. Key Industry Players
3.2.1 American Electric Power
3.2.2 Dominion Virginia Power
3.2.3 Duke Energy Corp.
3.2.4 Exelon Corp./PECO Energy Co.
3.2.5 Florida Power & Light Co.
3.2.6 Pacific Gas and Electric Company
3.2.7 San Diego Gas & Electric Co.
3.2.8 Southern California Edison Co.
3.3 Systems and Equipment Vendors
3.3.1 ABB/Tropos Networks, Inc.
3.3.3 Ambient Corporation
3.3.4 Cisco Systems, Inc.
3.3.5 Dominion Voltage, Inc.
3.3.6 Elster Group SE
3.3.7 Itron, Inc.
3.3.9 Proximetry Inc.
3.3.10 S&C Electric Company
3.3.11 Schneider Electric
3.3.13 Sentient Energy, Inc.
3.3.15 Silver Spring Networks
3.3.16 Tantalus Systems Corp.
3.3.17 Tollgrade Communications, Inc.
3.3.18 Trilliant, Inc.
4. Market Forecasts
4.2 Forecasting Approach
4.3 Global Forecasts
4.4 Conclusions and Recommendations
4.4.1 What Utilities Need to Do
4.4.2 What Vendors Need to Do
5. Company Directory
6. Acronym and Abbreviation List
7. Table of Contents
8. Table of Charts and Figures
9. Scope of Study, Sources and Methodology, Notes
List of Charts and Figures
- Smart Meters for DA Applications Installed Base by Region and Percentage of Total Smart Meters, World Markets: 2012-2020
- Integrated Routers for AMI and DA Applications Unit Shipments by Region, World Markets: 2012-2020
- Integrated Routers for AMI and DA Applications Revenue by Region, World Markets: 2012-2020
List of Tables
- Smart Meters for DA Applications Installed Base by Region, World Markets: 2012-2020
- Smart Meters for DA Applications Percentage of Total Installed Smart Meters by Region, World Markets: 2012-2020
- Smart Meters for DA Applications Installed Base by Communications Technology, World Markets: 2012-2020
- Percentage of Smart Meters Used for DA Applications by Communications Technology, World Markets: 2012-2020
- Integrated Routers for AMI and DA Applications Annual Shipments by Region, World Markets: 2012-2020
- Integrated Routers for AMI and DA Applications Annual Revenue by Region, World Markets: 2012-2020
- Integrated Routers for AMI and DA Applications Percentage of Total AMI Concentrator Devices by Region, World Markets: 2012-2020
- Voltage Level Definitions
- Distribution Automation Communications Requirements
- Requirements for Specific Distribution Applications in AMI Communications Networks