Several energy storage projects that were under construction early in the year reached commercial operation in 3Q 2016. New projects are being announced on a routine basis, and the global energy storage industry is continuing to explore different business cases that make energy storage systems (ESSs) profitable. Innovative applications like renewables integration and behind-the-meter (BTM) systems are becoming economically attractive, resulting in new geographic markets continuing to open up.
According to Navigant Research, lithium ion (Li-ion) batteries remain the leading form of storage for new projects worldwide, accounting for 83.0% of newly announced ESS capacity storage through 3Q 2016 (excluding pumped hydro storage). Li-ion batteries are the most popular technology for the growing distributed energy storage system (DESS) and BTM market segments. Also notable within the market is the increase in announced projects utilizing flow batteries and hybrid battery systems. Hybrid systems are advantageous in that they can provide multiple services to the grid based on dynamic conditions and specific requirements. While market activity has picked up in a number of regions during 2016, North America remains the largest market for newly announced ESSs. An estimated 1,997.3 MW of new ESSs have been announced worldwide in 2016 so far, with approximately 15.8% coming from North America.
This Navigant Research report provides a comprehensive resource of global energy storage projects. The Tracker includes a database of 1,201 projects (encompassing roughly 43,083 individual systems) and tracks the country, region, market segment, capacity, status, technology vendor, systems integrator, applications, funding, investment, and key milestones of each project. In addition, the report includes an analysis of the technology choice within each major region for energy storage, analysis of the leading regions for energy storage capacity and projects, and market share analysis for technology vendors for deployed projects and projects in the pipeline.
Key Questions Addressed:
- Which energy storage systems integrators have the largest market share?
- Which energy storage technology vendors have the largest market share for deployed projects and for pipeline projects?
- How many energy storage projects are currently underway worldwide?
- Which regions are leading in terms of deployed market capacity and number of projects in the energy storage sector?
- What is the technology choice within each region?
- How many new energy storage projects have come online so far in 2016?
Who needs this report?
- Energy storage technology vendors
- Smart grid controls and software companies
- Energy engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) firms
- Inverter companies
- Solar finance companies
- Investor community
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
1.2 Market Activity through 3Q 2016
2. Market Outlook
2.1 Leading Regions and Technologies for Energy Storage
2.2 Global Pipeline by Region and Technology
3. Competitor Market Share
3.2 Deployed Market Share by Core Technology Vendor
3.3 Pipeline Market Share by Core Technology Vendor
3.4 Deployed Market Share by Systems Integrator
3.5 Pipeline Market Share by Systems Integrator
4. Acronym and Abbreviation List
5. Table of Contents
6. Table of Charts and Figures
7. Scope of Study, Sources and Methodology, Notes
List of Charts and Figures
- New Announced Energy Storage Power Capacity by Technology and Region, World Markets: 3Q 2016
- Deployed Energy Storage Power Capacity by Technology and Region, Excluding Pumped Storage, World Markets: 3Q 2016
- Pipeline Energy Storage Power Capacity by Technology and Region, Excluding Pumped Storage, World Markets: 3Q 2016
- Deployed Capacity Market Share by Top 10 Core Technology Vendors, Excluding Pumped Storage, World Markets: 3Q 2016
- Pipeline Capacity Market Share by Top 10 Core Technology Vendors, Excluding Pumped Storage, World Markets: 3Q 2016
- Deployed Capacity Market Share by Top 10 Systems Integrators/Developers, Excluding Pumped Storage, World Markets: 3Q 2016
- Pipeline Capacity Market Share by Top 10 Systems Integrators/Developers, Excluding Pumped Storage, World Markets: 3Q 2016
List of Tables
- Energy Storage Installations, All Segments, World Markets: 3Q 2016
- Energy Storage Projects by New Projects Announced, World Markets: 3Q 2016
- Energy Storage Projects by Projects Added since Last Report, World Markets: 3Q 2016