Energy storage is shifting from being considered a complementary addition to renewable energy projects to standalone solutions that provide customers and system owners with significant value. In 2016 and through 2017 thus far, traditional emerging markets in the energy storage sector became the prime targets for new and established industry participants. New projects are being announced regularly, and the global energy storage industry is continuing to explore business cases that make energy storage systems (ESSs) profitable. Innovative applications like renewables integration and behind-the-meter (BTM) systems are becoming more and more economically attractive, resulting in new geographic markets.
Navigant Research believes that improvements in energy storage technologies, regional regulatory and market drivers, and new business models are poised to make energy storage a viable part of the electricity grid. Several key factors are expected to drive the global need for increased deployments. For example, the restructuring of electricity markets will create new value streams for energy storage. The regulatory and economic structure of these markets will enable the valuation of energy storage benefits. In addition, load profiles will play a critical role in the structure and operation of the power grid, which will influence the development of energy storage markets. Navigant Research anticipates that energy storage will increasingly become a practical option to costly grid and substation upgrades to meet changes in load.
This Navigant Research report provides a comprehensive resource of global energy storage projects. The Tracker includes a database of 1,712 projects and tracks the country, region, market segment, capacity, status, technology vendor, systems integrator, applications, funding, investment, and key milestones of each project. In addition, the report includes an analysis of the technology choice within each major region for energy storage, analysis of the leading regions for energy storage capacity and projects, and market share analysis for technology vendors for deployed projects and projects in the pipeline.
Key Questions Addressed:
- How many energy storage projects are currently underway worldwide?
- How many new energy storage projects have come online so far in 2017?
- Which regions are leading in terms of deployed market capacity and number of projects in the energy storage sector?
- What is the technology choice within each region?
- Which energy storage systems integrators have the largest market share?
- Which energy storage technology vendors have the largest market share for deployed projects and for pipeline projects?
Who needs this report?
- Energy storage technology vendors
- Smart grid controls and software companies
- Inverter companies
- Solar finance companies
- Energy engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) firms
- Investor community
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
2. Market Issues
2.1 Market Activity through 3Q 2017
2.2 Leading Regions and Technologies for Energy Storage
2.3 Global Pipeline by Region and Technology
3. Competitor Market Share
3.1 Introduction: Market Share
3.2 Deployed Market Share by Core Technology Vendor
3.3 Pipeline Market Share by Core Technology Vendor
3.4 Deployed Market Share by Systems Integrator
3.5 Pipeline Market Share by Systems Integrator
3.6 Li-Ion Players
4. Acronym and Abbreviation List
5. Table of Contents
6. Table of Charts and Figures
7. Scope of Study and Methodology, Notes
List of Charts and Figures
- New Announced Energy Storage Power Capacity by Technology and Region, World Markets: 3Q 2017
- Deployed Energy Storage Power Capacity by Technology and Region, Excluding Pumped Storage, World Markets: 3Q 2017
- Pipeline Energy Storage Power Capacity by Technology and Region, Excluding Pumped Storage, World Markets: 3Q 2017
- Deployed Capacity Market Share by Top 10 Core Technology Vendors, Excluding Pumped Storage, World Markets: 3Q 2017
- Pipeline Capacity Market Share by Top 10 Core Technology Vendors, Excluding Pumped Storage, World Markets: 3Q 2017
- Deployed Capacity Market Share by Top 10 Systems Integrators/Developers, Excluding Pumped Storage, World Markets: 1Q 2017
- Pipeline Capacity Market Share by Top 10 Systems Integrators/Developers, Excluding Pumped Storage, World Markets: 3Q 2017
- Deployed Capacity Market Share by Top 10 Li-Ion Battery Providers, World Markets: 3Q 2017
List of Tables
- Energy Storage Installations, All Segments, World Markets: 3Q 2017
- Energy Storage Projects by New Projects Announced, World Markets: 3Q 2017
- Energy Storage Projects by Projects Added Since Last Report, World Markets: 3Q 2017