Leadership in sustainability is becoming a competitive advantage as organizations commit to science-based targets to respond to shareholder, regulatory, and customer demands. Many companies have offset their environmental and carbon footprint through investment in clean energy or carbon reduction projects offsite. Today, investment in intelligent building technologies provides an impactful and cost-effective approach to achieving sustainability goals. As pressure grows to demonstrate emissions reductions and energy efficiency, intelligent building technologies will be valuable tools for tracking how building performance affects sustainability goals.
Investments in renewable energy, carbon offsets, and supply chain strategy have been the primary levers for addressing corporate sustainability. Intelligent building technologies are tools for improving site sustainability within facilities and across portfolios. Connectivity and analytics provide insight into ongoing facility operations and a means of coordinating information critical to business strategy across the organization. Facilities and energy management, IT, and operations teams can utilize a single intelligent building platform to monitor progress toward corporate sustainability goals.
This Navigant Research report highlights how analytics can support corporate sustainability strategy as a layer in the broader transformation of facilities management through intelligent building technologies. The study examines the market for intelligent building technologies for sustainability, with a focus on the effect of connectivity, data, and analytics as a means of aligning sustainability, energy, and facilities management for comprehensive business improvement. It also provides an analysis of the value of data for tracking sustainability progress and the key benefits of intelligent building products and services that deliver sustainability.
Key Questions Addressed:
- What can intelligent building technologies do for sustainability?
- What kind of customer-specific benefits result from using intelligent building technologies for sustainability?
- What products and services are offered by intelligent building technologies for sustainability?
- What kind of companies are committing to sustainability?
- What is the value of the data used for implementing sustainability strategies?
Who needs this report?
- Building owners
- Commercial real estate firms
- Internet of Things (IoT) vendors
- Intelligent buildings vendors
- Building energy management system (BEMS) vendors
- Investor community
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
1.1 Products and Services
1.2 Platform: The Big Picture on Analytics and Sustainability
1.3 Underlying Technologies
2. Market Update
2.1 The Value of Data for Tracking Sustainability Progress
2.2 Understanding the Underlying Technology
2.3 Market Dynamics
2.4 Key Benefits
2.5 Approach: Products and Services that Deliver Sustainability through Data
2.5.1 Key Market Influencers
3. Conclusions and Recommendations
List of Charts and Figures
- Intelligent Buildings Approach to Sustainability Tracking
- The Approach to Maximize Data for Sustainability
- Scale of Impact, Revenue, and Number of Companies with Targets Set
List of Tables
- Dimensions of Data for Sustainability
- Industry-Specific Sustainability Benefits