This Intel-sponsored Navigant Research white paper examines the role of Internet of Things (IoT) in the intelligent buildings marketplace and how technology advancements are transforming the facilities industry. The omnipresence of personal technology is setting new expectations for technology-enabled personalization in commercial buildings. As a result, demand for intelligent building solutions is growing, and these solutions are helping to optimize large and small buildings alike.
The scalable, open, and secure infrastructure of IoT is enabling the aggregation of data streams from building systems, occupants, and other sources that have been historically isolated. This framework supports intelligent building solutions, including building energy management systems (BEMSs), with more granular and comprehensive data that can be analyzed to direct improvements for energy savings and enhanced occupant satisfaction in buildings. Such solutions translate data into actionable information and, in some cases, automated improvements that optimize the operations of building systems.
Navigant Research presents an analysis of the changing competitive landscape and the diverse set of suppliers and investment influencers associated with IoT and intelligent building solutions. The major market dynamics and challenges shaping the outlook on the intelligent buildings market are discussed, as well. This white paper also includes a global forecast for key intelligent building solutions (BEMS software and services, advanced sensors, and electric submeters) from 2016 to 2020.
Key Questions Addressed:
- What differentiates intelligent building solutions from traditional facilities management technologies?
- What is the role of Internet of Things (IoT) in intelligent buildings?
- What are the recent key changes in the competitive landscape for intelligent building technologies?
- Who benefits from IoT-enabled intelligent buildings?
- How do intelligent building solutions affect facilities operations?
Who needs this report?
- Building energy management system (BEMS) providers
- Commercial and corporate real estate companies
- Facilities managers
- Building management system vendors
- Building automation system vendors
- Energy service companies
- Corporate energy and sustainability executives
- Investor community
Table of Contents
1.1 Defining the Intelligent Building
1.2 Differentiating Intelligent Building Technologies
2. Energy Savings and More
2.1 Key Market Dynamics
2.1.1 Supply-Side Changes
2.1.2 Demand-Side Changes
2.2 Key Market Challenges
3. Market Outlook
4. Conclusions and Recommendations
List of Charts and Figures
- Key Intelligent Building Technologies Revenue by Segment, World Markets: 2016-2020
- Roadmap to Intelligent Building Technology
- Commercial Building Solution Mix
- New Competitive Landscape for Intelligent Buildings
- Influencers, Market Drivers, and Expectations
- Key Market Barriers to Investment in Intelligent Building Solutions