Microgrids are an important emerging mechanism for incorporating distributed energy generation, both from renewable as well as fossil fuel power sources, into the larger electrical distribution system. Such microgrids may either be operated in conjunction with, or “islanded” from, the utility power grid and are utilized in a variety of settings including commercial applications, community/ utility deployments, institutional power systems, military installations, and off-grid microgrids that provide electricity to remote villages and other sites.
Up to this point, the majority of microgrids have been pilot projects and/or research-related experiments. This will not be the case for long, however. The year 2010 signaled a shift as some of the first commercial-scale microgrid projects reached significant milestones. With the expected adoption of the IEEE islanding standards in 2011, the shift from pilot validation projects to fully commercial projects will only accelerate. Pike Research’s analysis indicates that there are now more than 160 active microgrid projects with power generation capacity of more than 1.2 gigawatts.
This Pike Research tracker report provides the most comprehensive database available for active microgrid projects around the world. It includes details on projects in five key market segments: commercial, community/utility, institutional, military, and remote off-grid microgrids. Deployments are further segmented by world region, and additional information is provided for each project on companies involved, power generator types, and generation capacity.
Key Questions Addressed:
- How many microgrids are under development globally?
- What is the capacity and scale of microgrid deployments in different geographies?
- What are the size and generation sources included in existing and planned microgrids?
- Who are the key players in leading microgrid projects?
- What are the opportunities for microgrid market participants to generate revenue and strategic partnerships?
Who needs this report?
- Microgrid hardware and software companies
- Inverter manufacturers
- Systems integrators
- Government agencies
- Industry associations
- Academic community
- Investor community
List of Charts and Figures
- Microgrid Capacity by Region, World Markets: 2Q11
- Microgrid Capacity by Market Segment, World Markets: 2Q11
List of Tables
- Microgrid Projects, Asia Pacific
- Microgrid Projects, Europe
- Microgrid Projects, North America
- Microgrid Projects, Rest of World
- Microgrid Projects, Commercial Segment
- Microgrid Projects, Community Segment
- Microgrid Projects, Institutional Segment
- Microgrid Projects, Military Segment
- Microgrid Projects, Remote/Off-Grid Segments
- Microgrid Projects, All Regions & All Segments