Microgrids, which are a mechanism for integrating distributed energy generation, both from renewable and fossil fuel resources, are proliferating around the world in a variety of forms. Microgrids may be grid-tied or remote and are utilized in several key application segments including commercial, community, institutional, military, and remote installations.
The year 2011 signaled a shift away from pilot projects and/or research-related experiments, as some of the first large-scale commercial microgrid projects reached significant milestones. With the adoption of the IEEE P1547.4 islanding standards in July 2011, the shift from pilot validation projects to fully commercial projects will only accelerate. Since 2009, a handful of large commercially viable projects have come to light, especially in California – as platforms for aggregation of distributed renewable resources – and in New York – with combined heat and power (CHP) units as anchor technologies.
This Pike Research tracker report provides a detailed and comprehensive database of worldwide microgrid projects. The tracker covers microgrids in five key segments: commercial/industrial, community/utility, institutional/campus, military, and remote systems. Deployments are segmented by world region, and the tracker includes details on generation capacity, power generation sources, facility type, and companies involved for each project.
Key Questions Addressed:
- What is the total global capacity for all segments of microgrids today?
- Which of the primary applications – commercial/industrial, community/utility, institutional/campus, military and remote – leads in capacity deployments today?
- Which geography leads the world in total deployments to date?
- Which vendors are involved with which projects, and where?
- What regions of the world are hot spots for remote systems, the leading microgrid segment in terms of sheer numbers of projects and total revenues?
Who needs this report?
- Microgrid hardware and software companies
- Inverter manufacturers
- Systems integrators
- Government agencies
- Industry associations
- Academic community
- Investor community
List of Charts and Figures
- Microgrid Capacity by Region, World Markets: 4Q11
- Microgrid Capacity by Market Segment, World Markets: 4Q11
List of Tables
- Microgrid Projects, Asia Pacific
- Microgrid Projects, Europe
- Microgrid Projects, North America
- Microgrid Projects, Rest of World
- Microgrid Projects, Commercial/Industrial Segment
- Microgrid Projects, Community/Utility Segment
- Microgrid Projects, Institutional/Campus Environment Segment
- Microgrid Projects, Military Segment
- Microgrid Projects, Remote Systems
- Microgrid Projects, All Regions & All Segments