Most microgrids in operation today are essentially retrofit projects that cobble together existing assets and derive revenue from an overlay of controls used to enable legacy technology (consisting of the majority of the assets within the microgrid) to talk to new technology (usually small amounts of solar PV or a new advanced energy storage unit). Today, though, microgrids are beginning to move more into the mainstream, with a greater focus being placed on viable business models. The result is a microgrid market that is much more robust than it was only 5 years ago. New vendors keep entering this space and previously undiscovered projects keep coming to the fore.
As of 4Q 2013, Navigant Research has identified a total of 4,148 MW of total microgrid capacity throughout the world, up from 3,793 MW in the previous Tracker update in 2Q 2013. North America is still the world’s leading market for microgrids, with a planned, proposed, and deployed capacity of 2,712 MW, accounting for 65% of global microgrid capacity. This represents an additional 34 projects and 207 MW since the 2Q 2013 update. Of the total North American microgrid capacity, 1,503 MW is currently online and 1,224 MW is in the planned/under development or proposed phase.
This Navigant Research Tracker report provides data on known microgrid projects in the proposal, planning, and deployed stages, including details on the various technologies employed in individual projects. Specific information is provided on the capacity of the following generation assets: diesel, combined heat and power (CHP), solar PV, wind, and fuel cells. The Tracker also details the rated capacity, duration, and types of energy storage for each project and segments data by world region.
Key Questions Addressed:
- How many microgrids are operational and where are they located?
- What projects are in the planning and proposal stage?
- What types of power generation are being deployed in today’s microgrids?
- What types of energy storage – and at what scale – are being deployed in grid-tied and remote microgrids?
- Which vendors are developing projects and where are the projects located?
- What is the rated capacity, duration, and type of energy storage associated with each microgrid project?
Who needs this report?
- Microgrid developers
- Microgrid component vendors
- Large technology companies
- Government agencies
- Investor community
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
1.1 Introduction to Navigant Research’s Microgrid Deployment Tracker
1.2 New Findings and Insights
2. Methodology and Data Insights
2.2 Segmentation Rationale
2.3 Important Caveats Regarding the Microgrid Deployment Tracker
2.4 More 4Q 2013 Update Insights on Segments and Geography
3. Acronym and Abbreviation List
4. Table of Contents
5. Table of Charts and Figures
6. Scope of Study, Sources and Methodology, Notes
List of Charts and Figures
- Annual MLPE Installed Capacity by Region and Revenue, World Markets: 2013-2020
- Total Microgrid Capacity by Region, World Markets: 4Q 2013
- Total Microgrid Capacity by Segment, World Markets: 4Q 2013
- Total Market Share of Microgrids in Operation by Segment, World Markets: 4Q 2013
- Current Operating Microgrid Market Share by Region, World Markets: 4Q 2013
- Planned/Proposed Microgrid Market Share by Region, World Markets: 4Q 2013
List of Tables
- Microgrid Projects, North America: 4Q 2013
- Microgrid Projects, Europe: 4Q 2013
- Microgrid Projects, Asia Pacific: 4Q 2013
- Microgrid Projects, Rest of World: 4Q 2013
- Microgrid Projects, Commercial/Industrial Segment: 4Q 2013
- Microgrid Projects, Community/Utility Segment: 4Q 2013
- Microgrid Projects, Institutional/Campus Environment Segment: 4Q 2013
- Microgrid Projects, Military Segment: 4Q 2013
- Microgrid Projects, Remote Systems Segment: 4Q 2013
- Microgrid Projects, All Regions, All Segments: 4Q 2013
- Total Microgrid Capacity by Region, World Markets: 2Q 2013 and 4Q 2013
- Total Number of Microgrid Projects by Region, World Markets: 2Q 2013 and 4Q 2013
- Total Microgrid Capacity by Segment, World Markets: 2Q 2013 and 4Q 2013
- Total Number of Microgrid Projects by Segment, World Markets: 2Q 2013 and 4Q 2013