The key to success for any microgrid project is the controls platform. Whether intentionally islanding from the utility grid or responding to a signal from a grid operator to provide ancillary services, the microgrid controller can be viewed as the heart of the microgrid. It is vital to the success of microgrid projects whether focused on resilience, renewable energy integration, or economic optimization.
Despite the promising appeal of microgrids and the decline in the cost of key enabling technologies and controls, the incumbent system still offers significant resistance to microgrids, especially those interconnected to a utility grid. This report is therefore focused on ranking vendors active in grid-tied microgrid segments. It is within this commercial environment where the greatest value can be extracted from a microgrid via a controls solution through the provision of ancillary services to incumbent utility grid.
This Navigant Research Leaderboard report examines the strategy and execution of 15 leading microgrid controller vendors. These players are rated on 12 criteria: vision; go-to market strategy; partners; business model innovation; controls philosophy; geographic reach; sales, marketing, and distribution; product performance (islanding); controls functionality; project portfolio; pricing; and staying power. Using Navigant Research’s proprietary Leaderboard methodology, vendors are profiled, rated, and ranked with the goal of providing industry participants with an objective assessment of these companies’ relative strengths and weaknesses in the global microgrid controls market.
Top 10 Vendors:
1. Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories
2. Schneider Electric
3. Opus One Solutions
6. S&C Electric
9. Emerson Automation Solutions
Key Questions Addressed:
- Which company’s microgrid controls offer superior performance on safe, seamless islanding?
- How do leading microgrid controller vendors stack up on business model innovation?
- Which companies rank highest on strategy for microgrid controls?
- Which companies rank highest on execution for microgrid controls?
- How do the large global industrial corporations compare on microgrid controls?
- Which smaller software companies have gained traction in the microgrid controls market?
Who needs this report?
- Microgrid developers and systems integrators
- Microgrid financiers
- Microgrid controller companies
- Internet of Things (IoT) vendors
- Energy storage providers
- Government energy agencies
- Investor community
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
1.1 Market Introduction
1.2 The Navigant Research Leaderboard Grid
2. Market Overview
2.1 Defining the Microgrid Controls Market
2.2 Market Drivers
2.3 Market Barriers
2.3.1 Regulatory Systems in Flux
2.3.2 Lack of Plug-and-Play Offerings
2.3.3 Complex Financing Structures
2.3.4 Utility Rate-Basing Challenges
2.4 Market Trends
3. The Navigant Research Leaderboard
3.1 The Navigant Research Leaderboard Categories
3.2 The Navigant Research Leaderboard Grid
4. Company Rankings
4.1.2 Schneider Electric
4.1.3 Opus One Solutions
4.2.3 S&C Electric
4.2.4 PowerSecure International, Inc.
4.2.8 General Electric
4.3.1 Emerson Automation Solutions
4.3.2 Lockheed Martin
5. Acronym and Abbreviation List
6. Table of Contents
7. Table of Charts and Figures
8. Scope of Study, Sources and Methodology, Notes
8.1 Scope of Study
8.2 Sources and Methodology
8.2.1 Vendor Selection
8.2.2 Ratings Scale
22.214.171.124 Score Calculations
8.2.3 Criteria Definitions
List of Charts and Figures
- Microgrid: Networks of Distributed Energy Resources Capable of Islanding
- Annual Microgrid Controls Spending by Region, World Markets: 2017-2026
- Operational Microgrid Capacity Market Share by Region, World Markets: 4Q 2017
- Operational Microgrid Capacity Market Share by Segment, World Markets: 4Q 2017
- The Navigant Research Leaderboard Grid
- Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories Strategy and Execution Scores
- Schneider Electric Strategy and Execution Scores
- Opus One Solutions Strategy and Execution Scores
- Encorp Strategy and Execution Scores
- Siemens Strategy and Execution Scores
- S&C Electric Strategy and Execution Scores
- PowerSecure Strategy and Execution Scores
- Spirae Strategy and Execution Scores
- CleanSpark Strategy and Execution Scores
- ABB Strategy and Execution Scores
- General Electric Strategy and Execution Scores
- Eaton Strategy and Execution Scores
- Emerson Automation Solutions Strategy and Execution Scores
- Lockheed Martin Strategy and Execution Scores
- OATI Strategy and Execution Scores
List of Tables
- Microgrid Controls Implementation Spending by Region, World Markets: 2017-2026
- The Navigant Research Leaderboard Overall Scores
- Vendor Scores
- Vendor Scores on Strategy Criteria
- Vendor Scores on Execution Criteria