Low power wide area (LPWA) technologies make up a relatively newer set of communications protocols designed to fulfill the promise of the Internet of Things (IoT). Characterized by very long range, battery life, lower data transfer capacity and speed, and low cost, LPWA networks promise to make monitoring and—in some cases—control throughout the grid more economical, especially in rural environments.
Many equipment vendors and service providers are promoting these new technologies to power utilities. As a result of their relatively lower cost, utilities today are able to imagine a time when visibility throughout the distribution grid is ubiquitous—enabling applications such as widespread asset monitoring, distribution automation (DA), distributed generation integration, and even smart metering—at an economically feasible price. LPWA technologies are also being considered by utilities as backup communications in locations where more expensive cellular service has traditionally been used. To date, few utilities have made substantial investments in LPWA networks. Nonetheless, interest in LPWA technologies on the part of power utilities worldwide is growing.
This Navigant Research Leaderboard evaluates 15 vendors and service providers offering LPWA solutions relevant to electric utilities. These players are rated on 11 criteria: vision; go-to market strategy; partners; technology; geographic reach; sales, marketing, and distribution; product performance; product quality and reliability; product portfolio; pricing; and staying power. Using Navigant Research’s proprietary Leaderboard methodology, vendors are profiled, rated, and ranked with the goal of providing an objective assessment of their relative strengths and weaknesses in the global utility LPWA market.
Top 10 Vendors:
9. Silver Spring Networks
Key Questions Addressed:
- What are the leading power utility low power wide area (LPWA) networking vendors globally?
- How are LPWA solutions, services, and vendors differentiated in the market?
- What are the key strengths and weaknesses of the leading LPWA networking vendors?
- What strategic growth initiatives are emphasized by different LPWA networking vendors?
Who needs this report?
- Utility low power wide area (LPWA) networking equipment vendors
- Utility LPWA networking service providers
- Utility regulators
- Grid IT and automation solutions vendors
- Investor community
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
1.1 Market Introduction
1.2 Vendor Selection
1.3 The Navigant Research Leaderboard Grid
2. Market Overview
2.2 Key Market Drivers and Barriers
2.3 Market Outlook
3. The Navigant Research Leaderboard
3.1 The Navigant Research Leaderboard Categories
4. Company Rankings
4.2.3 Trilliant, Inc.
4.2.8 Silver Spring Networks
4.3.2 Link Labs
5. Acronym and Abbreviation List
6. Table of Contents
7. Table of Charts and Figures
8. Scope of Study, Sources and Methodology, Notes
8.1 Scope of Study
8.2 Sources and Methodology
8.2.1 Vendor Selection
8.2.2 Ratings Scale
184.108.40.206 Score Calculations
8.2.3 Criteria Definitions
List of Charts and Figures
- Total Utility LPWA Revenue by Region, World Markets: 2017-2026
- The Navigant Research Leaderboard Grid
- Nokia Strategy and Execution Scores
- Orange Strategy and Execution Scores
- AT&T Strategy and Execution Scores
- Trilliant Strategy and Execution Scores
- Verizon Strategy and Execution Scores
- Actility Strategy and Execution Scores
- Ericsson Strategy and Execution Scores
- Huawei Strategy and Execution Scores
- Silver Spring Networks Strategy and Execution Scores
- Sigfox Strategy and Execution Scores
- Itron Strategy and Execution Scores
- Vodafone Strategy and Execution Scores
- Telensa Strategy and Execution Scores
- Link Labs Strategy and Execution Scores
- Senet Strategy and Execution Scores
List of Tables
- The Navigant Research Leaderboard Overall Scores
- Vendor Scores
- Vendor Scores on Strategy Criteria
- Vendor Scores on Execution Criteria