The competitive landscape for building energy management systems (BEMSs) has heated up in recent years. Software developers aim to take advantage of a confluence of technology and market factors driving interest in sophisticated energy management systems. On the technology side, the advent of cloud-based software as a service (SaaS) platforms has facilitated scalable solutions upon which new analytics can be added over time. On the customer side, a rise in demand for systems that reduce operating costs, control corporate carbon emissions, and increase visibility into operations has led BEMS vendors to continue to innovate to meet the evolving market demand.
Given this confluence of market factors, the BEMS market is poised for significant growth in the coming years. Software offerings will continue to form the foundation of this market, but the services and hardware associated with these offerings will experience growth, as well. Meanwhile, the promise of data-driven energy management solutions has attracted a wide range of new and traditional players to the global market, each of which leverages a combination of tested technologies and innovative analytics capabilities to gain a foothold in this intensely competitive market. Navigant Research forecasts that the global BEMS market will grow from $2.4 billion in 2014 to $5.6 billion in 2020.
This Navigant Research Leaderboard Report examines the strategy and execution of 14 leading players with BEMS platforms that provide enterprise-level energy management and sophisticated data analytics offerings. These BEMS vendors are rated on ten criteria: vision, go-to-market strategy, partnership strategy, technology & solution portfolio, geographic coverage, user interface, breath/depth of applications, technology openness & interoperability, customer acquisition & partnerships, and scalability & staying power. Using Navigant Research’s proprietary Leaderboard methodology, vendors are profiled, rated, and ranked with the goal of providing industry participants with an objective assessment of these companies’ relative strengths and weaknesses in the growing BEMS market.
Top 10 Vendors:
1. Schneider Electric
3. Elster EnergyICT
4. Johnson Controls, Inc.
7. Cylon Active Energy
8. C3 Energy
Key Questions Addressed:
- Which vendors are Leaders, Contenders, and Challengers in the global building energy management system (BEMS) market?
- What distinguishes various BEMS vendors from a technology perspective?
- Which business models have enabled BEMS vendors to achieve the best traction?
- How does proprietary hardware affect the soundness of a BEMS vendor’s business model?
- Which vendors have made the most progress in securing partnerships and customers for their BEMS offerings?
Who needs this report?
- BEMS software vendors
- Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) equipment vendors
- Lighting system vendors
- Building automation system (BAS) vendors
- Energy service companies (ESCOs)
- Government agencies
- Investor community
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
1.1 Market Introduction
1.2 Criteria Overview
1.3 The Navigant Research Leaderboard Grid
2. Market Overview
2.1 Market Definition
2.2 Market Drivers
2.2.1 The Growth of Smart Building Infrastructure
2.2.2 Corporate Sustainability and Energy Management Initiatives
2.2.3 Energy Efficiency Regulatory Support
2.2.4 Cloud-Based Data Management
2.3 Market Barriers
2.3.1 Lack of Buildings Primed for Smart Building Technology
2.3.2 Split Incentives
2.3.3 Lack of Familiarity with BEMSs and Perceptions of High Cost
2.4 Market Trends
3. The Navigant Research Leaderboard
3.1 The Navigant Research Leaderboard Categories
3.2 The Navigant Research Leaderboard Grid
4. Company Rankings
4.1.1 Schneider Electric
4.2.1 Elster EnergyICT
4.2.2 Johnson Controls, Inc.
4.2.5 Cylon Active Energy
4.2.6 C3 Energy
4.3.1 Pulse Energy
4.3.2 eSight Energy
5. Company Directory
6. Acronym and Abbreviation List
7. Table of Contents
8. Table of Charts and Figures
9. Scope of Study and Methodology
9.1 Scope of Study
9.2 Sources and Methodology
9.2.1 Vendor Selection
9.2.2 Ratings Scale
126.96.36.199 Score Calculations
9.2.3 Criteria Definitions
List of Charts and Figures
- The Navigant Research Leaderboard Grid
- BEMS Revenue by Region, World Markets: 2012-2020
- Schneider Electric Strategy and Execution Scores
- Siemens Strategy and Execution Scores
- Elster EnergyICT Strategy and Execution Scores
- Johnson Controls Strategy and Execution Scores
- Verisae Strategy and Execution Scores
- IBM Strategy and Execution Scores
- Cylon Active Energy Strategy and Execution Scores
- C3 Energy Strategy and Execution Scores
- GridPoint Strategy and Execution Scores
- Ecova Strategy and Execution Scores
- Honeywell Strategy and Execution Scores
- EnerNOC Strategy and Execution Scores
- Pulse Energy Strategy and Execution Scores
- eSight Energy Strategy and Execution Scores
- BEMS Vendors by Focus Area
List of Tables
- BEMS Revenue by Region, World Markets: 2012-2020
- The Navigant Research Leaderboard Overall Score
- Vendor Scores
- Vendor Scores on Strategy Criteria
- Vendor Scores on Execution Criteria