Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems are a critical component in almost every commercial building. In some climates, HVAC systems can account for more than 40% of total building energy consumption. These systems also have dramatic effects in other critical business areas for both large and small commercial facilities, such as tenant comfort, maintenance program effectiveness and efficiency, and whole building optimization.
Historically, this industry has been slow to change, but several of the leading HVAC vendors are starting to maximize the value and reach of the digital offerings they have been evolving over years of R&D and product evolution. Yet, the leading incumbents are difficult to displace due to their strong brand presence and infrastructures that have been built up over long periods of time. Many of the product portfolios of these vendors are highly similar with respect to product categories, and all have a capable services component. The execution of those strategies and unique digital offerings and capabilities represent a few of the only potential differentiators for vendors of commercial HVAC systems.
This Navigant Research Leaderboard Report examines the strategy and execution of 12 leading HVAC OEMs and service providers. These players are rated on 12 criteria: vision; go-to market strategy; partners; production strategy; technology; geographic reach; sales, marketing, and distribution; product performance; product quality and reliability; product portfolio; pricing; and staying power. Using Navigant Research’s proprietary Leaderboard methodology, HVAC vendors are profiled, rated, and ranked with the goal of providing an objective assessment of their relative strengths and weaknesses in the global commercial HVAC market.
Top 10 Vendors:
2. Carrier Corp.
3. Daikin Industries
4. Johnson Controls
5. Mitsubishi Electric Corp.
6. LG Electronics
8. Lennox International
9. Rheem Manufacturing Company
10. Samsung Electronics
Key Questions Addressed:
- Which global heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) vendors rank the highest overall?
- Which HVAC vendors rank best on strategy?
- Which HVAC vendors rank best on execution?
- What differentiates the leading HVAC vendors from other vendors?
- Which HVAC vendors are making the best progress on digital product development?
Who needs this report?
- HVAC vendors
- Engineering service companies (ESCOs)
- Large energy technology companies
- Facilities managers
- Commercial and industrial energy managers
- Digital controls specialists
- Government entities
- Investor community
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
1.1 Market Introduction
1.2 The Navigant Research Leaderboard Grid
2. Market Overview
2.1 HVAC Market Introduction
2.1.1 Central HVAC Systems
2.1.2 Unitary HVAC Systems
2.1.3 Ductless HVAC Systems
2.2 Offerings of an HVAC Market Leader
2.2.1 Services Organization
2.2.2 Digital Intelligence versus Data
2.2.3 Sustainability and the Environment
2.3 Market Drivers
2.4 Market Barriers
2.5 Market Trends
3. The Navigant Research Leaderboard
3.1 The Navigant Research Leaderboard Categories
3.2 The Navigant Research Leaderboard Grid
4. Company Rankings
4.1.2 Carrier Corp.
4.2.1 Daikin Industries
4.2.2 Johnson Controls
4.2.3 Mitsubishi Electric Corp.
4.2.4 LG Electronics
4.2.6 Lennox International
4.2.7 Rheem Manufacturing Company
4.2.8 Samsung Electronics
5. Acronym and Abbreviation List
6. Table of Contents
7. Table of Charts and Figures
8. Scope of Study, Sources and Methodology, Notes
8.1 Scope of Study
8.2 Sources and Methodology
8.2.1 Vendor Selection
8.2.2 Ratings Scale
220.127.116.11 Score Calculations
8.2.3 Criteria Definitions
List of Charts and Figures
- The Navigant Research Leaderboard Grid
- Trane Strategy and Execution Scores
- Carrier Strategy and Execution Scores
- Daikin Strategy and Execution Scores
- Johnson Controls Strategy and Execution Scores
- Mitsubishi Strategy and Execution Scores
- LG Strategy and Execution Scores
- Fujitsu Strategy and Execution Scores
- Lennox Strategy and Execution Scores
- Rheem Strategy and Execution Scores
- Samsung Strategy and Execution Scores
- GREE Strategy and Execution Scores
- Midea Strategy and Execution Scores
- Changes in BAS Architecture
List of Tables
- The Navigant Research Leaderboard Overall Scores
- Vendor Scores
- Vendor Scores on Strategy Criteria
- Vendor Scores on Execution Criteria