The distributed-scale energy storage sector includes energy storage systems (ESSs) located behind the residential or commercial and industrial (C&I) customer’s utility meter. To date, distributed-scale ESSs have focused on providing storage benefits to the host residential or C&I facilities, such as resilient backup power and energy demand charge savings. However, stationary energy storage market stakeholders also recognize that distributed-scale ESS installations aggregated across residential and C&I properties can deliver grid benefits to regional transmission organizations/independent system operators and local distribution system utilities.
This evolution is driving the development of software and hardware platforms that can serve as virtual power plants (VPPs). VPP software platforms can analyze, control, and optimize not only a single ESS, but also an aggregated portfolio of distributed-scale ESSs. The aggregation of distributed-scale ESSs of sufficient capacity in this manner allows grid operators to view and plan for taking advantage of grid benefits. Navigant Research believes VPPs that analyze, control, and optimize distributed-scale ESSs to deliver benefits to both the grid and hosts will emerge as necessary integration solutions for distributed energy resources as power market rules mature.
This Navigant Research Leaderboard Report examines the strategy and execution of 14 leading distributed-scale ESS integrators focused specifically on the utility-scale market. These companies are rated on 10 criteria: vision; go-to-market strategy; partnerships; technology; geographic reach; sales, marketing, and distribution; product performance; product portfolio; pricing; and staying power. Using Navigant Research’s proprietary Leaderboard methodology, vendors are profiled, rated, and ranked with the goal of providing industry participants with an objective assessment of these companies’ relative strengths and weaknesses in the global market for distributed-scale ESS integrators.
Top 10 Vendors:
1. Green Charge Networks
4. Johnson Controls
10. Lockheed Martin Energy
Key Questions Addressed:
- Which companies are the Leaders, Contenders, Challengers, and Followers in the distributed-scale energy storage systems (ESS) integration market?
- Which distributed-scale ESS integrators are poised to scale?
- How are the backgrounds of leading distributed-scale ESS vendors affecting their offerings?
- Which global distributed-scale ESS integrators have differentiated offerings in the market?
- What are the key differences between various distributed-scale ESS integrators?
- What are the different strategies used by different distributed-scale ESS integrators?
Who needs this report?
- Distributed energy storage systems (ESS) integrators
- Distributed energy storage project developers
- Battery OEMs
- Energy management software vendors
- Solar PV equipment manufacturers
- Engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) firms
- Investor community
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
1.1 Market Introduction
1.2 Evaluation Overview
1.3 The Navigant Research Leaderboard Grid
2. Market Overview
2.2 Market Definition
2.3 Market Drivers
2.4 Market Barriers
2.5 Market Trends
3. The Navigant Research Leaderboard
3.1 The Navigant Research Leaderboard Categories
3.2 The Navigant Research Leaderboard Grid
4. Company Rankings
4.1.1 Green Charge Networks
4.2.1 Johnson Controls
4.2.2 Advanced Microgrid Solutions (AMS)
4.2.7 Lockheed Martin Energy Company
4.2.8 Demand Energy
4.3.2 EnSync Energy Systems
4.3.3 JLM Energy
5. Acronym and Abbreviation List
6. Table of Contents
7. Table of Charts and Figures
8. Scope of Study and Methodology
8.1 Scope of Study
8.2 Sources and Methodology
8.2.1 Vendor Selection
8.2.2 Ratings Scale
18.104.22.168 Score Calculations
8.2.3 Criteria Definitions
List of Charts and Figures
- The Navigant Research Leaderboard Grid
- Annual Installed Distributed-Scale Energy Storage Power Capacity and Revenue by Region, World Markets: 2016-2025
- Green Charge Networks Strategy and Execution Scores
- Stem Strategy and Execution Scores
- Sunverge Strategy and Execution Scores
- Johnson Controls Strategy and Execution Scores
- AMS Strategy and Execution Scores
- Tesla/SolarCity Strategy and Execution Scores
- Sharp Strategy and Execution Scores
- sonnen Strategy and Execution Scores
- Greensmith Strategy and Execution Scores
- Lockheed Martin Energy Strategy and Execution Scores
- Demand Energy Strategy and Execution Scores
- IHI Strategy and Execution Scores
- EnSync Strategy and Execution Scores
- JLM Energy Strategy and Execution Scores
- Distributed-Scale Energy Storage Value Chain, Upstream Portion
- Distributed-Scale Energy Storage Value Chain, Downstream Portion
List of Tables
- The Navigant Research Leaderboard Overall Scores
- Vendor Scores
- Vendor Scores on Strategy Criteria
- Vendor Scores on Execution Criteria