Despite the progress made by commercially available lithium ion (Li-ion), advanced lead-acid, flow, and molten salt batteries, the path toward the commercialization of new battery chemistries continues. Several new advanced battery chemistries are projected to become commercialized in the coming years. Meanwhile, motive transportation energy storage needs will be met by commercially available Li-ion batteries during the next decade. The majority of batteries for grid-tied stationary energy storage will be Li-ion, along with a mix of advanced lead-acid, flow, and sodium sulfur (NaS) batteries. Sales growth for pre-commercial next-generation advanced battery (NGAB) chemistries in both sectors is not expected to accelerate until 2021-2025.
Lithium solid-state (Li-SS) is anticipated to be the first new battery chemistry for the transportation sector, and advanced flow batteries will likely be the first new technology for the stationary energy storage sector. Companies working to commercialize NGAB technologies that partner with well-funded Li-ion battery technology companies and energy companies will be at a strategic advantage. Navigant Research anticipates that those that show progress toward commercialization will likely receive investment or will be acquired by the current leading Li-ion companies. In 4-6 years, these established Li-ion battery technology companies will be well-positioned to add technologies to their manufacturing, supply chain, and sales channels.
This Navigant Research Leaderboard Report examines the strategy and execution of 12 leading battery companies that are commercializing NGABs for motive transportation and grid-tied stationary energy storage, including lithium sulfur (Li-S), Li-SS, next-generation flow, and liquid metal batteries. These players are rated on 12 criteria: vision; commercial go-to market strategy; partners; commercial production strategy; technology; geographic reach; commercial plan execution; commercial product performance; commercial product quality; commercial product portfolio; pricing; and staying power. Using Navigant Research’s proprietary Leaderboard methodology, vendors are profiled, rated, and ranked with the goal of providing an objective assessment of their relative strengths and weaknesses in the global NGAB market.
Top 10 Vendors:
1. Lockheed Martin Energy
2. Sion Power
4. Solid Power
5. ESS Inc.
7. Nohm Technologies
9. OXIS Energy
Key Questions Addressed:
- Which companies are the Leaders in commercializing next-generation advanced batteries (NGABs)?
- What are the key metrics used to evaluate the commercialization of NGABs?
- How is the NGAB industry responding to rapidly evolving commercialization challenges?
- How do NGAB commercialization efforts affect business strategies in the motive and stationary energy storage markets?
Who needs this report?
- Commercial advanced battery vendors
- Commercial advanced battery energy storage system purchasers
- Energy storage-enabling technology vendors
- Energy storage systems integrators
- Automotive OEMs
- Stationary energy storage project developers
- Investor community
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
1.1 Market Introduction
1.2 Criteria Overview
1.3 The Navigant Research Leaderboard Grid
2. Market Overview
2.2 Market Definition
2.2.1 NGAB Technology Overview
126.96.36.199 Next-Generation Flow Batteries
188.8.131.52 Liquid Metal
2.3 Market Drivers and Trends
2.3.1 Motive Energy Storage
2.3.2 Grid-Tied Energy Storage
2.3.3 Strategic Partnerships
2.4 Market Barriers
2.4.1 Mature Performance Criteria Expectations
2.4.2 Access to Grants and Investment Capital
3. The Navigant Research Leaderboard
3.1 The Navigant Research Leaderboard Categories
3.2 The Navigant Research Leaderboard Grid
4. Company Rankings
4.1.1 Lockheed Martin Energy
4.1.2 Sion Power
4.2.1 Solid Power
4.2.2 ESS Inc.
4.2.4 Nohm Technologies
4.2.6 OXIS Energy
5. Acronym and Abbreviation List
6. Table of Contents
7. Table of Charts and Figures
8. Scope of Study, Sources and Methodology, Notes
8.1 Scope of Study
8.2 Sources and Methodology
8.2.1 Vendor Selection
8.2.2 Ratings Scale
184.108.40.206 Score Calculations
8.2.3 Criteria Definitions
List of Charts and Figures
- The Navigant Research Leaderboard Grid
- Next-Generation Advanced Battery Pack Market Penetration by Chemistry, World Markets: 2016-2025
- Lockheed Martin Energy Strategy and Execution Scores
- Sion Power Strategy and Execution Scores
- Seeo Strategy and Execution Scores
- Solid Power Strategy and Execution Scores
- ESS Inc. Strategy and Execution Scores
- 24M Strategy and Execution Scores
- Nohm Technologies Strategy and Execution Scores
- Sakti3 Strategy and Execution Scores
- OXIS Energy Strategy and Execution Scores
- WattJoule Strategy and Execution Scores
- Ambri Strategy and Execution Scores
- PolyPlus Strategy and Execution Scores
List of Tables
- The Navigant Research Leaderboard Overall Scores
- Vendor Scores
- Vendor Scores on Strategy Criteria
- Vendor Scores on Execution Criteria