The smart city is a complex confluence of several existing markets and a driver for new, emergent solutions. The smart city sector is also attracting a diverse range of suppliers, which makes a comparison of their strengths and capabilities a challenging exercise. However, such comparisons are necessary to differentiate between the various approaches presented to customers and to support city leaders evaluating suppliers in terms of their smart city vision and products.
The widespread interest in smart city programs is creating a global market opportunity. Navigant Research forecasts that the global smart city technology market will grow from $6.1 billion in annual revenue in 2012 to $20.2 billion by 2020. Five segments are the focus for smart city investment: smart energy, smart water, smart transportation, smart buildings, and smart government.
This Navigant Research Leaderboard Report offers an evaluation of leading players with the capacity to provide leadership on large-scale smart city projects spanning multiple operational and service areas. The report evaluates 15 leading smart city suppliers positioning themselves to become global leaders in the market, and rates them on 10 criteria for strategy and execution, including vision, go-to-market strategy, partners, product strategy and roadmap, geographic reach, market share, sales and marketing, product performance and features, product integration, and staying power. Using Navigant Research’s proprietary Leaderboard methodology, vendors are profiled, rated, and ranked with the goal of providing industry participants with an objective assessment of these companies’ relative strengths and weaknesses in the growing global smart city market.
Top 10 Vendors:
3. Schneider Electric
8. General Electric
Key Questions Addressed:
- Which smart city suppliers are best positioned to become global market leaders?
- What are the key metrics used to evaluate market performance for the smart city market?
- How are suppliers positioning themselves to support the complexity and diversity of smart city projects?
- How are supplier strategies evolving to meet the emerging needs of cities?
- How do the leading companies in this market compare on key metrics including vision, product strategy, and geographic reach?
Who needs this report?
- IT companies
- Smart grid hardware and software vendors
- Building equipment and appliance vendors
- Smart transportation providers
- Energy management hardware and software vendors
- E-government platforms and applications vendors
- Investor community
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
1.1 Market Introduction
1.2 Criteria Overview
1.3 The Navigant Research Leaderboard Grid
2. Market Overview
2.1 Market Definition
2.2 Market Drivers
2.2.2 Environmental Pressure and Climate Change
2.2.3 Economic Development and Regeneration
2.2.4 Citizen Expectations
2.3 Market Barriers
2.3.2 An Integrated View of the City
2.3.3 Governance and Citizen Engagement
2.3.4 Who Is the Customer?
2.3.5 Privacy and Security
2.4 Market Trends
3. The Navigant Research Leaderboard
3.1 The Navigant Research Leaderboard Categories
3.2 The Navigant Research Leaderboard Grid
4. Company Rankings
4.2.1 Schneider Electric
4.2.6 General Electric
4.3.7 LG CNS
5. Company Directory
6. Acronym and Abbreviation List
7. Table of Contents
8. Table of Charts and Figures
9. Scope of Study and Methodology
9.1 Scope of Study
9.2 Sources and Methodology
9.2.1 Vendor Selection
9.2.2 Ratings Scale
184.108.40.206 Score Calculations
9.2.3 Criteria Definitions
List of Charts and Figures
- The Navigant Research Leaderboard Grid
- IBM Strategy and Execution Scores
- Cisco Strategy and Execution Scores
- Schneider Electric Strategy and Execution Scores
- Siemens Strategy and Execution Scores
- Hitachi Strategy and Execution Scores
- Accenture Strategy and Execution Scores
- Toshiba Strategy and Execution Scores
- General Electric Strategy and Execution Scores
- Oracle Strategy and Execution Scores
- Capgemini Strategy and Execution Scores
- Microsoft Strategy and Execution Scores
- SAP Strategy and Execution Scores
- Atos Strategy and Execution Scores
- ABB Strategy and Execution Scores
- LG CNS Strategy and Execution Scores
List of Tables
- The Navigant Research Leaderboard Overall Scores
- Vendor Scores
- Vendor Scores on Strategy Criteria
- Vendor Scores on Execution Criteria