Utilities worldwide are deploying field area networks (FANs) at an accelerating pace. They aim to use these networks to support not only advanced metering infrastructure (AMI, or smart metering), but also a variety of distribution grid automation applications. Grid edge connectivity via a FAN allows both new and legacy devices to be remotely controlled, enabling a self-healing grid, minimizing outages, and improving utility performance metrics and customer satisfaction.
A FAN can also enable distribution-level sensors that keep operations personnel and managers apprised of voltage levels and asset health. This visibility minimizes truck rolls and allows workforces to be more efficiently deployed. Data gathered from these devices may then feed IT systems, enabling preventative and predictive maintenance, among other benefits. The utility of the future will rely heavily upon networking technology to enable a vast array of operational, efficiency, maintenance, and customer engagement applications. As such, utilities worldwide are examining their existing communications networks and evaluating new, more comprehensive solutions, both for AMI and distribution automation, as well as for better management of renewables integration, demand-side management, and customer engagement efforts.
This Navigant Research Leaderboard Report examines the strategy and execution of 10 leading utility FAN providers. These grid edge connectivity providers are rated on 12 criteria: vision; go-to market strategy; partners; production strategy, technology; geographic reach; sales, marketing, and distribution; product performance; product quality and reliability; product portfolio; pricing; and staying power. Using Navigant Research’s proprietary Leaderboard methodology, vendors are profiled, rated, and ranked with the goal of providing an objective assessment of their relative strengths and weaknesses in the global utility FAN market.
Top 10 Vendors:
2. Silver Spring Networks
6. Honeywell International
7. ABB Wireless
8. Trilliant, Inc.
9. S&C Electric
10. Tanatalus Systems Corp.
Key Questions Addressed:
- Who are the leading utility field area networking (FAN) vendors globally?
- How are FAN solutions and vendors differentiated in the market?
- What are the key strengths and weaknesses of the leading FAN vendors?
- What strategic growth initiatives are emphasized by different FAN vendors?
- How does portfolio depth versus breadth affect each FAN vendor’s competitive position?
Who needs this report?
- Utility field area networking (FAN) solution vendors
- Utility regulators
- Grid IT and automation solution vendors
- Investor community
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
1.1 Market Introduction
1.2 Vendor Selection
1.3 Market Outlook
1.4 The Navigant Research Leaderboard Grid
2. Market Overview
2.1 Market Definition
2.2 Market Trends and Drivers
3. The Navigant Research Leaderboard
3.1 The Navigant Research Leaderboard Categories
3.2 The Navigant Research Leaderboard Grid
4. Company Rankings
4.1.2 Silver Spring Networks
4.2.4 Honeywell International
4.2.5 ABB Wireless (formerly Tropos Networks)
4.2.6 Trilliant, Inc.
4.2.7 S&C Electric
4.3.1 Tantalus Systems Corp.
5. Acronym and Abbreviation List
6. Table of Contents
7. Table of Charts and Figures
8. Scope of Study, Sources and Methodology, Notes
8.1 Scope of Study
8.2 Sources and Methodology
8.2.1 Vendor Selection
8.2.2 Ratings Scale
184.108.40.206 Score Calculations
8.2.3 Criteria Definitions
List of Charts and Figures
- The Navigant Research Leaderboard Grid
- Itron Strategy and Execution Scores
- Silver Spring Networks Strategy and Execution Scores
- Landis+Gyr Strategy and Execution Scores
- Aclara Strategy and Execution Scores
- Sensus Strategy and Execution Scores
- Honeywell Strategy and Execution Scores
- ABB Wireless Strategy and Execution Scores
- Trilliant Strategy and Execution Scores
- S&C Electric Strategy and Execution Scores
- Tantalus Strategy and Execution Scores
List of Tables
- The Navigant Research Leaderboard Overall Scores
- Vendor Scores
- Vendor Scores on Strategy Criteria
- Vendor Scores on Execution Criteria