A lot of people normally take vacations and start to think about the back-to-school rush in August, but nothing productive gets done. The same cannot be said for 2015, as PJM’s capacity auction, normally held in May, was moved to August this year due to regulatory proceedings. This change has kept people checking their messages from the beach to make sure they don’t miss any important news while working on the perfect tan.
PJM’s 2018-19 Base Residual Auction (BRA) for its Reliability Pricing Model (RPM) capacity market was held last week and it released results late last Friday. This was the first auction to include the new Capacity Performance (CP) requirements, which increase risk to suppliers but also potentially increase revenue. The auction prices for CP fell within expected ranges, elevated over the last auction. Importantly, PJM only procured 80% of its supply need with CP, with the other 20% coming from Base Capacity (BC) resources, which have lower performance requirements and lower risk. The main analyst sentiment going into the auction was that BC would clear at a much lower price than CP due to the risk premium. This did not turn out to be the case, however, as CP only cleared 7%–9% higher in most zones.
What does all this mean for demand response (DR), which was seen as a wild card in the auction outcome? All signs point to a positive prognosis—well above most expectations—with 11,000 MW clearing, about 100 MW more than the year prior. This increase is probably due to the higher prices rather than any DR industry trends. Over 90% of DR cleared in the BC product. Had the BC price ended up much lower, as was widely expected, it would have been interesting to see how much DR would have stayed in the market.
One big question was how much DR would clear in the CP product given the higher risk of penalties. The answer was about 1,500 MW, less than 10% of total DR. There are many ways to interpret this result. First, it rebuffs the notion that little to no DR would take the CP plunge. So some level of DR is here to stay once PJM starts procuring 100% CP in a couple of years. On the other hand, a very small percentage of DR cleared in CP, so it does not look like a mass-market opportunity. However, a third perspective is that because the CP premium over BC was so small, most DR suppliers chose BC for the lower risk; had the premium been much larger, perhaps more DR would have jumped to CP. A lot of those details are hidden in the bidding strategies of the suppliers and are not made public unless willingly volunteered. EnerNOC normally releases a statement soon after the auction announcing its results, but probably not that level of detail.
PJM has stolen the headlines once again, but I’m sure there will be time to discuss other energy developments once I put my surfboard away and school commences. In the meantime, you can read about EnerNOC and other DR providers in Navigant’s recently published Demand Response Leaderboard Report.
Tags: Capacity Auction, Demand Side Management, PJM, Residential Energy Innovations, Utility Transformations
| No Comments »