- What are the primary use cases for blockchain in the energy industry?
- What are the key trends in energy blockchain use cases?
- Which vendors are building energy blockchain solutions globally, and which vendors have failed or exited the market?
- How many energy blockchain projects have been deployed, and where?
- Which countries and geographies are the most active with respect to energy blockchain development?
- How much funding have blockchain vendors raised, and from what sources?
- Which companies are the project partners for energy blockchain vendors?
- How have funding trends changed over the past 3-5 years?
Energy Blockchain Vendor and Deployment Tracker 3Q19
Vendors, Project Deployments, Use Cases, Investments, and Key Trends from the Emerging Energy Blockchain Market
Blockchain is a mathematical framework for decentralized information and systems management. Since roughly 2015, startups, utilities, and technology companies have financed and deployed demonstration and pilot projects to determine whether blockchain can address pain points across the energy industry. These projects focused on a wide range of use cases, from transactive energy and peer-to-peer energy trading to supply chain management and renewable energy certificates. As the technology slowly matures, the narrative that blockchain will fundamentally disrupt the energy system is giving way to a more pragmatic vision in which blockchain makes existing processes more efficient.
The inaugural Energy Blockchain Vendor and Deployment Tracker is the first report from Navigant Research to track blockchain vendor market entries and exits, funding, investments, and project deployments in the energy industry. It breaks down vendor and project trends across five global regions and covers 236 vendors, 254 projects, and nearly $700 million in cumulative funding invested into energy blockchain development. Including unannounced private investments, Navigant Research anticipates that the actual total invested figure exceeds $1 billion.This Navigant Research report tracks blockchain vendor and project developments in the energy industry. It follows data from vendors and projects across five geographic regions and six market segments: supply chain, generation, wholesale, distribution, retail, and behind the meter. Where available, the report provides specific information on project partners and funding, project size, use cases, company status, and other data points.
- Microgrid project developers
- Blockchain technology companies
- Smart grid hardware and software providers
- Investor-owned utilities
- Mobility services companies
- Transactive energy service providers
- Investor community
1. Executive Summary
1.2 Key Insight
2.1 Methodology Overview
2.1.1 Vendor and Project Databases
2.1.2 The Blockchain Technology Stack
2.1.3 Energy Blockchain Use Cases
3. Tracker Insights and Key Findings
3.1 Blockchain Use Cases and Funding Highlights
3.1.1 TE Vendors with Deployed Projects in the Field
3.1.2 Renewable Energy Certificates and EV Charging
3.1.3 Influence of Traditional Funding Sources
3.2 Regional Trends in Energy Blockchain Activity
3.2.1 Concentration of Energy Blockchain Activity
3.2.2 European Markets vs. North American Activity
4. Acronym and Abbreviation List
5. Table of Contents
6. Table of Charts and Figures
7. Scope of Study, Sources and Methodology, Notes
- Vendor Market Entries by Use Case Focus, World Markets: 2012-2018
- Project Launches by Use Case Focus, World Markets: 2012-2018
- Energy Blockchain Vendor Entries by Use Case Focus: 2015-2018
- Known Energy Blockchain Funding by Source: 2012-2018
- Share of Active Vendors by Region, World Markets: 2012-2018
- Energy Blockchain Vendor Concentration by Country: 2019
- Energy Blockchain Project Concentration by Country: 2019
- Energy Blockchain Project
Deployment Database, World Markets: 1H 2019
- Energy Blockchain Vendor Database, World Markets: 1H 2019
- Energy Blockchain Use Case Codes and Definitions: 1H 2019
- Cumulative Active Energy Blockchain Vendors by Region, 2012-1H 2019
- Cumulative Active Energy Blockchain Vendors by Market Segment, 2012-1H 2019
- Cumulative Active Energy Blockchain Vendors by Technology Focus, 2012-1H 2019
- Project Launches by Use Case Focus, World Markets: 2012-1H 2019
- Vendor Market Entries by Use Case Focus, World Markets: 2012-1H 2019
- Cumulative Active Energy Blockchain Projects by Region, 2012-1H 2019
- Cumulative Active Energy Blockchain Projects by Market Segment, 2012-1H 2019
- Total Energy Blockchain Funding by Market Segment, 2012-1H 2019
- Annual Energy Blockchain Funding by Source and Market Segment, 2012-1H 2019
- Cumulative Energy Blockchain Funding by Source and Market Segment, 2012-1H 2019
- Energy Blockchain Projects and Vendors by Region, World Markets: 2019