- Which energy storage systems integrators have the largest market share?
- Which energy storage technology vendors have the largest market share for deployed projects and for pipeline projects?
- How many energy storage projects are currently underway worldwide?
- Which regions are leading in terms of deployed market capacity and number of projects in the energy storage sector?
- What is the technology choice within each region?
- How many new energy storage projects have come online so far in 2018?
Energy Storage Tracker 4Q18
Market Share Data, Industry Trends, Market Analysis, and Project Tracking by World Region, Technology, Application, and Market Segment
As global electricity grids embrace the new energy economy, energy storage is becoming a necessity in grid infrastructure. Energy storage grants stakeholders flexibility on the generation, transmission, distribution, and end-use sides of the grid. As a result, the energy storage landscape has grown increasingly sophisticated through 2018, marked by new types of projects that are being monetized by innovative business models. Several new companies have entered the market across the energy storage value chain while legacy companies have sought to bolster their presence. The growing need to modernize global electricity grids and the evolution of business cases for deploying storage ensure that this market will continue to grow quickly over the coming years.
Several key factors continue to increase the global need for energy storage deployments. For example, the restructuring of electricity markets will enable the valuation of the flexible benefits of energy storage deployments. Additionally, variable generation sources such as solar PV and wind that are connected to power grids will require increased load balancing against demand. Areas with unstable grids and frequent outages will benefit from distributed energy storage systems and microgrids with storage. Meanwhile, load profiles will play a critical role in the structure and operation of the power grid, which will influence the development of energy storage markets. Navigant Research expects energy storage to increasingly become a viable option to meet changes in load.
This Navigant Research report provides a comprehensive resource of global energy storage projects. The Tracker includes a database of 1,935 projects and tracks the country, region, market segment, capacity, status, technology vendor, systems integrator, applications, funding, investment, and key milestones of each project. In addition, the report includes an analysis of the technology choice within each major region for energy storage, analysis of the leading regions for energy storage capacity and projects, and market share analysis for technology vendors for deployed projects and projects in the pipeline.
- Energy storage technology vendors
- Smart grid controls and software companies
- Energy engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) firms
- Inverter companies
- Solar financing companies
- Investor community
1. Executive Summary
2. Market Issues
2.1 Market Activity through 4Q 2018
2.2 Global Deployments by Region and Technology
2.3 Global Pipeline by Region and Technology
3. Competitor Market Share
3.1 Introduction: Company Market Share
3.2 Deployed Market Share by Technology Vendor
3.3 Pipeline Market Share by Core Technology Vendor
3.4 Deployed Market Share by Systems Integrator
3.5 Deployed Li-Ion Technology Vendors
4.1 Conclusions and Recommendations
5. Acronym and Abbreviation List
6. Table of Contents
7. Table of Charts and Figures
8. Scope of Study, Sources and Methodology, Notes
- Deployed Energy Storage Power Capacity by Technology and Region, Excluding Pumped Storage, World Markets: 4Q 2018
- Pipeline Energy Storage Power Capacity by Technology and Region, Excluding Pumped Storage, World Markets: 4Q 2018
- Deployed Capacity Market Share by Top 10 Core Technology Vendors, Excluding Pumped Storage, World Markets: 4Q 2018
- Pipeline Capacity Market Share by Top 10 Core Technology Vendors, Excluding Pumped Storage, World Markets: 4Q 2018
- Deployed Capacity Market Share by Top 10 Systems Integrators/Developers, Excluding Pumped Storage, World Markets: 4Q 2018
- Pipeline Capacity Market Share by Top 10 Systems Integrators/Developers, Excluding Pumped Storage, World Markets: 4Q 2018
- Deployed Capacity Market Share by Top 10 Li-Ion Battery Providers, World Markets: 4Q 2018
- Energy Storage Installations, All Segments, World Markets: 4Q 2018
- Energy Storage Installations, 2018 Market Activity, World Markets: 4Q 2018
- Energy Storage Installations, New Since Last Report, World Markets: 4Q 2018