- Who are the top 10 companies developing compute platforms for automated driving?
- Which of these companies ranks highest in terms of strategy?
- Which of these companies ranks highest in terms of execution?
- Which companies are currently leading this emerging market?
- Which companies are best positioned to take the lead in automated driving compute?
- What are the factors that separate the leaders from the contenders and challengers?
Navigant Research Leaderboard: Automated Vehicle Compute Platforms
Assessment of Strategy and Execution for 10 Companies Developing Compute Platforms for Automated Driving
Development of automated driving (AD) technologies continues at a brisk pace in 2020 with more than 70 companies including legacy automakers, suppliers, startups, and technology companies new to the auto industry involved. AD requires the development of three key enabling technologies: sensors, software, and robust, yet power-efficient compute platforms. Most early development was conducted by installing data center servers in vehicles, but that is not a practical commercial solution.
Many of the development servers have used various combinations of Intel central processing units (CPUs) and field programmable gate arrays (FPGAs), Mobileye application-specific integrated circuits (ASICs), Xilinx FPGAs, and NVIDIA graphics processing units (GPUs). However, the past several years have seen the development of more highly optimized compute platforms specifically targeted at power efficiency and improved neural network processing performance.
This Leaderboard report from Navigant Research, a Guidehouse company, examines the strategy and execution of 10 leading AD system development and deployment companies. These players are rated on 10 criteria: vision; go-to market strategy; partners; production strategy; technology; sales, marketing, and distribution; product capability; product quality and reliability; product portfolio; and staying power. Using Navigant Research’s proprietary Leaderboard methodology, vendors are profiled, rated, and ranked with the goal of providing industry participants with an objective assessment of these companies’ relative strengths and weaknesses in the global AD compute platform market.
Top 10 Vendors
- Qualcomm Technologies
- Waymo LLC
- NXP Semiconductors
- Renesas Electronics Corporation
- Apple Inc.
- Vehicle manufacturers
- Automotive industry suppliers
- Silicon chip fabricators
- Automated driving toolset providers
- Investor community
- Ride-hailing companies
1. Executive Summary
1.1 Market Introduction
1.2 The Navigant Research Leaderboard Grid
2. Market Overview
2.1 Market Definition
2.2 Market Drivers
2.3 Market Barriers
2.4 Market Trends
3. The Navigant Research Leaderboard
3.1 The Navigant Research Leaderboard Categories
3.2 The Navigant Research Leaderboard Grid
4. Company Rankings
4.1.3 Qualcomm Technologies
4.2.2 Waymo LLC
4.2.4 NXP Semiconductors
4.2.5 Renesas Electronics Corporation
4.3.1 Apple Inc.
5. Acronym and Abbreviation List
6. Table of Contents
7. Table of Charts and Figures
8. Scope of Study and Methodology
8.1 Scope of Study
8.2 Sources and Methodology
8.2.1 Vendor Selection
8.2.2 Ratings Scale
18.104.22.168 Score Calculations
8.2.3 Criteria Definitions
- The Navigant Research Leaderboard Grid
- NVIDIA Strategy and Execution Scores
- Intel-Mobileye Strategy and Execution Scores
- Qualcomm Technologies Strategy and Execution Scores
- Xilinx Strategy and Execution Scores
- Waymo LLC Strategy and Execution Scores
- Tesla Strategy and Execution Scores
- NXP Semiconductors Strategy and Execution Scores
- Renesas Electronics Corporation Strategy and Execution Scores
- Apple Inc. Strategy and Execution Scores
- Aimotive Strategy and Execution Scores
- The Navigant Research Leaderboard Overall Scores
- Vendor Scores
- Vendor Scores on Strategy Criteria
- Vendor Scores on Execution Criteria