- Who are the market leaders in the smart genset space?
- What are the key metrics used to evaluate market performance in the smart genset space?
- Which market participants are in the best position for success in the changing smart genset market?
- What kinds of companies see big opportunities in this market?
- Which companies show staying power in the smart genset market?
Navigant Research Leaderboard: Smart Genset Vendors
Assessment of Strategy and Execution for 9 Smart Genset Vendors
Reciprocating generator sets (gensets) have traditionally been deployed with simple control systems, often sitting dormant until a power outage occurs. But as the global power generation landscape becomes more distributed, interconnected, and competitive, vendors are adding smart features to gensets at an accelerated pace. This trend is driven by customers demanding advanced features such as enhanced maintenance, microgrid interactivity, and demand response. It is made possible thanks to advances in control technologies and the ubiquitous connectivity of devices in the Energy Cloud.
Core to the smart genset offering is enhanced interactivity—with human operators, with the larger electrical grid, and with other localized distributed energy resources (DER) such as solar PV. Smart features are in higher demand for projects with critical loads, larger capacity, or where the genset is especially interactive with the larger grid or onsite resources. Genset vendors and controller and software companies are embracing these value streams, both to provide added value to customers and to compete against the falling costs of alternative energy resources such as solar and storage.
This Navigant Research Leaderboard examines the Strategy and Execution of nine leading suppliers active in the smart gensets market. These vendors are rated on 12 criteria: vision; go-to-market strategy; partners; digital differentiation; business model innovation; geographic reach; sales, marketing, distribution; value chain capture; microgrid-interactive genset portfolio; grid-interactive genset portfolio; pricing; and staying power. Using Navigant Research’s proprietary Leaderboard methodology, vendors are profiled, rated, and ranked with the goal of providing industry participants with an objective assessment of these companies’ relative strengths and weaknesses in the growing smart gensets market.
Top 9 Vendors
- Caterpillar Inc.
- Generac Power Systems, Inc.
- Aggreko plc
- Cummins, Inc.
- Enchanted Rock, Ltd.
- PowerSecure, Inc.
- Rolls-Royce Holdings plc
- MAN ES
- Smart genset vendors
- Genset controller vendors
- Diesel generator set vendors
- Natural gas generator set vendors
- Engine vendors
- Distributed energy resource equipment vendors
- Microgrid developers
- Energy developers
- Utilities and grid operators
- Investor community
1. Executive Summary
1.1 Market Introduction
1.2 Vendor Selection
1.3 The Navigant Research Leaderboard Grid
2. Market Overview
2.1 Market Definition
2.2 Market Drivers
2.3 Market Trends
3. The Navigant Research Leaderboard
3.1 The Navigant Research Leaderboard Categories
3.2 The Navigant Research Leaderboard Grid
4. Company Rankings
4.1.1 Caterpillar, Inc.
4.2.1 Generac Power Systems, Inc.
4.2.2 Aggreko plc
4.2.3 Cummins, Inc.
4.2.4 Enchanted Rock, LLC
4.2.5 PowerSecure, Inc.
4.2.6 Rolls-Royce Holdings plc
4.2.7 MAN Energy Solutions
5. Acronym and Abbreviation List
6. Table of Contents
7. Table of Charts and Figures
8. Scope of Study and Methodology
8.1 Scope of Study
8.2 Sources and Methodology
8.2.1 Vendor Selection
8.2.2 Ratings Scale
22.214.171.124 Score Calculations
8.2.3 Criteria Definitions
- The Navigant Research Leaderboard Grid
- Annual Smart Genset Installed
Capacity and Revenue by Region, World Markets: 2020-2029
- Caterpillar, Inc. Strategy and Execution Scores
- Wärtsilä Strategy and Execution Scores
- Generac Power Systems, Inc. Strategy and Execution Scores
- Aggreko plc Strategy and Execution Scores
- Cummins, Inc. Strategy and Execution Scores
- Enchanted Rock, LLC Strategy and Execution Scores
- PowerSecure, Inc. Strategy and Execution Scores
- Rolls-Royce Holdings plc Strategy and Execution Scores
- MAN ES Strategy and Execution Scores
- Genset Classifications
- Smart Gensets Value Chain
- The Navigant Research Leaderboard Overall Scores
- Vendor Scores
- Vendor Scores on Strategy Criteria
- Vendor Scores on Execution Criteria
- Annual Smart Genset Installed Capacity by Country, World Markets: 2020-2029
- Annual Smart Genset Revenue by Country, World Markets: 2020-2029