Automated driving is increasingly being considered the key technology to address societal problems caused by the proliferation of automobiles around the world. These include traffic congestion, injuries, and fatalities caused by crashes and air quality. The development of automated driving has been ongoing since at least the 1950s. However, it has accelerated in the last decade, enabled by advancements in computational architectures and sensing technology, along with dramatic cost reductions. These advancements, combined with vehicle electrification and ubiquitous connectivity, are enabling automated driving to rapidly become viable.
Automated vehicles are quickly nearing a level of maturity that will enable initial deployments for consumers. A large group of companies are actively developing complete automated driving systems and the components that go into those systems, including automotive OEMs, suppliers, non-automotive technology companies, and startups. Several of these companies entered this market recently but rapidly moved into contention through acquisitions, investments, and strategic hiring of key personnel. Others have been working on automated driving technology for decades.
This Navigant Research Leaderboard Report examines the strategy and execution of 18 leading companies developing automated driving systems. These players are rated on 10 criteria: vision; go-to market strategy; partners; production strategy; technology; sales, marketing, and distribution; product capability; product quality and reliability; product portfolio; and staying power. Using Navigant Research’s proprietary Leaderboard methodology, companies are profiled, rated, and ranked with the goal of providing an objective assessment of their relative strengths and weaknesses in the global market for automated driving systems.
Top 10 Vendors:
3. Renault-Nissan Alliance
5. Volkswagen Group
10. Hyundai Motor Group
Key Questions Addressed:
- What are the top 18 companies developing integrated automated driving systems?
- Which of these companies rank the highest in terms of strategy?
- Which of these companies rank the highest in terms of execution?
- Which companies are currently leading the emerging market for automated driving systems?
- Which companies are best positioned to take the lead in automated driving?
- What factors separate the Leaders from the Contenders and Challengers in the market for automated driving systems?
Who needs this report?
- Vehicle manufacturers
- Automotive industry suppliers
- Commercial fleet managers
- Carsharing and ride-hailing companies
- Transit providers
- Mobility service providers
- Government agencies
- Investor community
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
1.1 Market Introduction
1.2 The Evolution of the Automated Driving Market
1.3 The Navigant Research Leaderboard Grid
2. Market Overview
2.1 Market Definition
2.2 Market Drivers
2.3 Market Barriers
2.4 Market Trends
3. The Navigant Research Leaderboard
3.1 The Navigant Research Leaderboard Categories
3.2 The Navigant Research Leaderboard Grid
4. Company Rankings
4.1.3 Renault-Nissan Alliance
4.2.1 VW Group
4.2.6 Hyundai Motor Group
5. Acronym and Abbreviation List
6. Table of Contents
7. Table of Charts and Figures
8. Scope of Study, Sources and Methodology, Notes
8.1 Scope of Study
8.2 Sources and Methodology
8.2.1 Vendor Selection
8.2.2 Ratings Scale
188.8.131.52 Score Calculations
8.2.3 Criteria Definitions
List of Charts and Figures
- SAE J3016 Standard Core Reference for Automated Vehicles
- The Navigant Research Leaderboard Grid
- Ford Strategy and Execution Scores
- General Motors Strategy and Execution Scores
- Renault-Nissan Alliance Strategy and Execution Scores
- Daimler Strategy and Execution Scores
- Volkswagen Group Strategy and Execution Scores
- BMW Strategy and Execution Scores
- Waymo Strategy and Execution Scores
- Volvo/Autoliv/Zenuity Strategy and Execution Scores
- Delphi Strategy and Execution Scores
- Hyundai Motor Group Strategy and Execution Scores
- PSA Strategy and Execution Scores
- Tesla Strategy and Execution Scores
- Toyota Strategy and Execution Scores
- ZF Strategy and Execution Scores
- Honda Strategy and Execution Scores
- Uber Strategy and Execution Scores
- nuTonomy Strategy and Execution Scores
- Baidu Strategy and Execution Scores
List of Tables
- The Navigant Research Leaderboard Overall Scores
- Vendor Scores
- Vendor Scores on Strategy Criteria
- Vendor Scores on Execution Criteria