The global wind market is one of the fastest growing energy markets in the world. In 2015, 63.1 GW of wind power capacity was added globally, a 23.2% increase from the 51.2 GW installed in 2014. On a cumulative basis, global wind power capacity grew to 434.1 GW by the end of 2015 and is projected by Navigant Research to reach 705.5 GW by the end of 2020.
Various drivers support this market, including supportive government policies, demands from power markets for clean and diversified power generation, and constantly evolving wind turbines that are providing increasingly cost-effective wind generation. The rapid scale-up of wind turbine technology over the past decade has resulted in more efficient machines and a sophisticated large-scale supply chain. In an increasingly competitive wind market, today’s wind turbine OEMs have to constantly progress and meet or exceed expectations in a range of criteria to thrive now and in the future. This report assesses a selection of top wind turbine manufacturers that are actively pursuing their strong domestic markets while also expanding internationally.
This Navigant Research Leaderboard Report examines the strategy and execution of 12 OEMs that are active in the global wind turbine market. The vendors are rated on 12 criteria: vision; go-to-market strategy; partners; production strategy; technology; geographic reach; sales & marketing; global market share, 2015 capacity; product quality & reliability; product portfolio; cumulative installations; and staying power. Using Navigant Research’s proprietary Leaderboard methodology, vendors are profiled, rated, and ranked with the goal of providing industry participants with an objective assessment of these companies’ relative strengths and weaknesses in the global wind turbine market.
Top 10 Vendors:
2. GE Energy
Key Questions Addressed:
- Who are the top global wind turbine manufacturers?
- Who are the Leaders, Contenders, Challengers, and Followers in the global wind turbine market?
- What are the key strengths and weaknesses of each OEM ranked in this Leaderboard Grid?
- What are some key trends within the competitive marketplace for wind turbines?
- Which Chinese wind turbine vendors are showing the most success expanding beyond China?
Who needs this report?
- Wind turbine manufacturers
- Wind power plant developers
- Wind turbine component manufacturers
- Energy and renewables industry associations
- Government agencies and non-profit organizations
- Investor community
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
1.1 Market Introduction
1.2 Criteria Overview
1.3 The Navigant Research Leaderboard Grid
2. Market Overview
2.1 Market Definition
2.2 Market Drivers
2.3 Market Barriers
2.4 Market Growth
2.5 Market Trends
2.5.1 Two Markets: China and Everywhere Else
2.5.2 Market Diversification Driving Mergers and Acquisitions Activity
2.5.3 Large Rotors and Tall Towers
2.5.4 Average Turbine Size
2.5.5 Challenging Trust Barrier for Chinese OEMs
2.5.6 Make and Buy Supply Chain Sourcing
2.5.7 Offshore Wind Growth
3. The Navigant Research Leaderboard
3.1 The Navigant Research Leaderboard Categories
3.2 The Navigant Research Leaderboard Grid
3.2.1 Leaderboard Overall Scores
4. Company Rankings
4.1.2 GE Energy
4.3.1 United Power
4.3.2 Ming Yang
5. Acronym and Abbreviation List
6. Table of Contents
7. Table of Charts and Figures
8. Scope of Study, Sources and Methodology, Notes
8.1 Scope of Study
8.2 Sources and Methodology
8.2.1 Vendor Selection
8.2.2 Ratings Scale
184.108.40.206 Score Calculations
8.2.3 Criteria Definitions
List of Charts and Figures
- The Navigant Research Leaderboard Grid
- Annual Wind Installations by Region, World Markets: 1990-2020
- Vestas Strategy and Execution Scores
- GE Energy Strategy and Execution Scores
- Siemens Strategy and Execution Scores
- Gamesa Strategy and Execution Scores
- Enercon Strategy and Execution Scores
- Senvion Strategy and Execution Scores
- Nordex Strategy and Execution Scores
- Goldwind Strategy and Execution Scores
- Suzlon Strategy and Execution Scores
- Envision Strategy and Execution Scores
- United Power Strategy and Execution Scores
- Ming Yang Strategy and Execution Scores
List of Tables
- The Navigant Research Leaderboard Overall Scores
- Vendor Scores
- Vendor Scores on Strategy Criteria
- Vendor Scores on Execution Criteria