Waste collection is an unglamorous but essential city service. The pressure is on city administrators to deliver that service as efficiently and effectively as possible, often under tight budget restrictions. Ample opportunity exists worldwide for smart solutions that can increase efficiency and improve the quality of waste collection services. The commercialization of smart waste collection technologies represents fertile ground for existing waste haulers, various stakeholders, and new waste management industry market entrants.
Currently, most municipal waste collection operations focus on emptying containers according to predefined schedules at a set frequency. This system is inherently inefficient, with half-full bins being emptied, poor use of city assets, and unnecessary fuel consumption. Smart solutions—for tracking waste levels, route optimization, and operational analytics—offer municipalities and waste service managers the ability to optimize waste management services, reduce operational costs, and better address the environmental issues associated with inefficient waste collection. According to Navigant Research, the global smart waste collection technology market is expected to grow from $57.6 million in 2016 to over $223.6 million in 2025.
This Navigant Research report examines the global market for smart waste collection technologies, with a focus on innovations happening in the first key element of the municipal solid waste management value chain: waste collection. The study provides an analysis of the market drivers and barriers associated with smart waste collection technology. Global market revenue and smart bin deployment forecasts, segmented by region, extend through 2025. The report also discusses urbanization trends and provides profiles of the key industry players within the smart waste collection market.
Key Questions Addressed:
- What is the current addressable market for smart waste collection technologies?
- Which regions show the greatest opportunity for municipal waste collection technology investment?
- What are the technological and economic market drivers for smart waste collection market development?
- Who are the key stakeholders in the emerging smart waste collection market?
Who needs this report?
- Waste management companies
- Municipal waste utilities
- Software/IT companies
- Industry associations
- Government agencies and policymakers
- Investor community
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
2. Market Overview
2.1 Why Waste Matters
2.1.1 Urbanization Trends
2.2 Smart Waste Collection Market and Technology
2.2.1 Municipal Waste Management Value Chain
2.2.2 Smart Waste Collection Solutions
2.3 Drivers for Adoption
2.3.1 Operational Cost Reduction
2.3.2 Environment and Health Safety
2.3.3 Push for Smart City Applications
2.4.1 Behavioral Change
2.5 Key Industry Players
2.5.1 Bigbelly Solar
2.5.2 Cognito Tech Solutions
2.5.4 Ecube Labs
2.5.8 SmartUp Cities
2.5.9 System Level Solutions
3. Market Forecast
3.1 Conclusions and Recommendations
List of Charts and Figures
- Annual Smart Waste Collection Revenue by Region, World Markets: 2016-2025
- Municipal Solid Waste Management Value Chain
- Bigbelly’s Web-Based Dashboard
- Bigbelly Waste and Recycling Station
- Ecube Labs’ Clean CUBE Bins
- Enevo’s Ultrasonic Sonar Sensor
- SmartBin’s Live Platform Screenshot
- Annual Smart Bin Deployments by Region, World Markets: 2016-2025