- Grid impacts of baseload power plant retirements in the Pacific Northwest
- Role of bulk long duration energy storage in decarbonization
- Success in Europe integrating high percentages of renewables
- Attributes of pumped storage hydro
- Grid-Tied Energy Storage
Deploying Bulk Long Duration Energy Storage
Meeting Capacity Shortfalls in the Pacific Northwest
As California, Oregon, and Washington pursue aggressive decarbonization policies, significant amounts of baseload coal and natural gas will be retired. These fossil fuel plants will be replaced with renewable generation, which could lead to capacity shortages. Bulk long duration energy storage will be vital to ensuring the viability of the grid, and pumped storage hydro presents a cost-effective solution.
This webinar will explore the need for bulk long duration energy storage to provide dispatchable generation and grid reliability services. Alex Eller, senior research analyst at Navigant Research, will be joined by Nathan Sandvig, director at National Grid Ventures, and Ralph Dassonville, senior market analyst at Alpiq, to discuss how they have used long duration energy storage, including pumped hydro, to integrate renewable generation. The panelists will also discuss how energy storage can help address the capacity challenges facing the Pacific Northwest.
- How will replacing baseload fossil fuel power plants with renewable generation affect the functionality and reliability of the Pacific Northwest grid?
- Why is bulk long duration energy storage critical to this transition?
- What do utility planners need to know to prepare?
- How can market signals and state energy policies help deliver the desired outcomes?
- What are the risks of delaying action?
- Utility planners
- Independent system operator (ISO)/regional transmission organization (RTO) planners
- State energy regulators and policymakers
- Renewable energy project developers and owners
Thanks for registering!
You're all set to join our webinar: "Deploying Bulk Long Duration Energy Storage"
May 28, 2019
You'll receive an email with details on how to join.